Archive

Posts Tagged ‘cancer’

World Congress on Thyroid Cancer 5K

J5VuPy6S_400x400

It’s time to register for the World Congress on Thyroid Cancer (WCTC) 5K presented by Sanofi Genzyme, which is being held on July 30th at 6:30am at the Hatch Memorial Shell.

The inaugural WCTC 5K is an official activity of the 3rd World Congress on Thyroid Cancer, welcoming event goers, their colleagues and Bostonians to run or walk. This race has a very reasonable registration fee of just $15!

Join the WCTC 5K to raise awareness for thyroid cancer. For an additional $15 participants can purchase a technical race shirt. All proceeds from this event will be donated.

Runners will tackle a great flat course and will run along the Charles River in this out-and-back course starting and ending at the Hatch Memorial Shell.

To register for the World Congress on Thyroid Cancer (WCTC) 5K, please click here. Be sure to also “Like” and ‘Follow” the race on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

 

3rd Place Finish at the Frances Morast 5K

Image

This morning was the Frances Morast 5K to Beat Ovarian Cancer in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, which just so happens to be where I live. The course is a nice and fast 5K course that takes runners through a scenic loop including the historic Central Square section of town. Having done this race in the past and having run these roads for the past several years, this race serves as a great run to push myself and see how I can fare against the competition.

Race time weather was ideal for running with the sun shining and the fall air settling into New England after a couple of hot and humid days this week. As we made our way out onto the course I felt really good and for the first half-mile found myself to be in first place. I checked my Garmin and saw I was running a nice pace but knew it was one I could not maintain for the rest of the race. Two runners passed me and I gladly let them glide along and fell into a comfortable stride I felt I could maintain for the rest of the race. After a brief neck and neck run with another runner about a mile and a half in, I kicked it up a notch and began to pull away. Coming back into the Central Square section of Bridgewater I knew third place was mine for the taking and continued to push it toward the finish line. After a brief encounter that almost landed me as a stylish hood ornament on Maple Avenue I continued a good coast into the finish line and finished the race in third place overall with a time of 22:13, good for 7:10/miles. This was pretty much the best 5k race I have had all season and I am quite pleased with the outcome.

The race is organized by the Morast family who lost Frances Morast, an educator in Bridgewater, to ovarian cancer. This annual race has raised over $100,000 for ovarian cancer research and for scholarships awarded in Fran’s honor.

Be sure to “Like” the Facebook page for the race by clicking here and join me at the Frances Morast 5K next year!

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , , ,

6th Annual Frances F. Morast 5K Walk and Run to Beat Ovarian Cancer 2013

ImageJoin The Running Griffin at the 6th Annual Frances F. Morast 5K Walk and Run to Beat Ovarian Cancer to be held in Bridgewater, Massachusetts on September 14, 2013.

Join Ovations for the Cure of Ovarian Cancer in remembering beloved Bridgewater schoolteacher, Frances F. Morast, as we walk and run to beat ovarian cancer!

20% of the proceeds from this event will benefit the Frances F. Morast Scholarship to Beat Ovarian Cancer and the remaining 80% of the proceeds will benefit Ovations’ cutting edge research, education and outreach initiatives.

You can register for this race by clicking here. You can also like the event page on Facebook by clicking here.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags: , , ,